Wednesday, March 9

Jankura memorial slated for March 20
-
Plans have been announced for a memorial for retired Southington High School Art teacher Cheryl A. Jankura, who died last weekend at the age of 63.
-
The memorial will be held from 1 to 3 p.m. on Sunday, March 20, at the New Britain Museum of American Art. According to organizers, a reception will follow.
-
The museum is located at 56 Lexington St. in New Britain. For directions or more information on the museum, click here. For more information on the memorial, please e-mail us at shsalum@gmail.com.

1 comment:

Bill Lachapelle said...

Miss Jankura inspired me to a great degree as a young child at Thalberg School in the late 60s early 70s.
I was lucky enough to have her as an art teacher during her first years as a teacher.
At 8 years old, I used to stay after school to help clean brushes and basically hang out with her. She was a great listener and had the rare quality of making a shy child feel like his ideas were important and mattered.
I got involved in many extra curricular art activities such as making backdrops for school plays under her supervision.
I've always wanted to track her down and tell her what an inspiration she was to me, and what an incredible difference her attention and caring made in my life.
Hearing of her passing moved me a great deal, and I am so sorry I'll never be able to pass on that message to her.
I pass this message on to you who may be reading this, and urge you to reach out to those who made a difference in your life, to tell them so.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart Miss Jankura.
With deepest and Heartfelt sympathies to her family and friends,
Bill Lachapelle